Reputation is what people think of you, character is what you are.

I found it on an Instagram post and I don't know why, it was one of those quotes that just stuck. You know when you scroll and then suddenly you stop? That was it for me. It's always the thing that I've always been attracted to dive deeper.

In the age of 29 I don't know why I become the person who wants to build my character over reputation. Don't take me wrong, because as a normal person I've been in the moment of putting effort to look for reputation before. I really did. So maybe it's time for me to rethink about what I want in this world. 😊

For years I lived the other way around. I was busy curating. What will people think if I say this? If I post this, will they think I'm kind enough? Religious enough? Successful enough? It was a full-time job. And it's tiring, actually. Because reputation is built through people's opinions, and people's opinions change every day. You always have to fit in. You have to adjust. Today they like you being soft, tomorrow they think you are too soft. Today they praise you for being vocal, tomorrow they think you talk too much. You never win.

Otherwise, character is who truly you are even when no one is watching you. That's the definition that hit me the most. No one is watching. No likes. No views. No comments. What do you do then? What do you say then? How do you treat others, how do you talk to your family when you are tired, how do you react when someone hurt you or you hurt someone although it happens accidentally and there is no audience to see you. That is character.

And the more interesting part is character is built for a lifetime. Why? Because character is an unfinished learning process. It never graduates.

For example, today you successfully be patient. You were patient with yourself, with your work, with the slow internet. You feel good about it. You think, okay, I am a patient person now. But you can't guarantee tomorrow. Because tomorrow you will face another challenge to stay patient. A different situation, a different pressure, a different trigger. And in that moment, you still have to choose what you did yesterday, like staying patient or not.

It will be tested every single day. You'll be tested with different challenges, different circumstances, people's different opinions with yours about something, etc. And in that moment, you still choose. Do I still want to be honest even when lying is easier? Do I still want to be kind even when no one is kind to me? Do I still want to be careful with my words even when I am angry?

Character is tested everyday and it builds who truly you are, it becomes your habits automatically. At first you have to force it. You have to remind yourself: be patient, be careful, be honest. But if you do it everyday, it becomes your default. You don't have to think about it anymore. You just are.

Meanwhile, reputation can be built instantly. That is the scary and seductive part about it. For example, you post a verse from the Quran today, people who view it can think that you're an obedient person who never feels negativity, who never gets angry, who is always close to God. One post. One story. One aesthetic photo with a deep caption, and you can build a whole reputation in 15 seconds.

That's why character is the intact version of you and it's valid. You can be stressed as a human, you can be misunderstood towards something, you can disagree about something, you can have a bad day and not want to talk to anyone. And it doesn't mean you're bad, it means you're human. Character allows you to be human. It allows you to say, I failed today to be patient, so I will try again tomorrow. It doesn't cancel your whole identity.

While reputation is a polished version of you and it's valid too. You can look perfectly fine, you can share motivation etc. And there is nothing wrong with that. You still post good things. You still want to share motivation. But you don't want your happiness to live there anymore.

Before I wanted to build my real character, I've been in the moment where I was busy building my reputation; how people think of me, seeking external validation to fulfill my happiness etc. I've been there. For a long time. Because when nobody sees me, I'm sad. When no one validates me, I feel like I am nothing. So my happiness depends on how people see me. If they clap, I am happy. If they don't, I am empty. It's a very fragile place to live in.

And now I realize that character is what I am with or without anyone noticing. My task is how to be the intact me without worrying about how people think of me as long as I don't hurt them. Seeking internal validation from what I can do in this life to fulfill my happiness. Did I do my best today? Was I honest today? Did I keep my promise to myself today, even the small one? That is enough. That has to be enough.

The character building is not without a risk. The more you search for yourself, the more you have more questions about who you are. That's the part no one tells you.

When you chase reputation, the question is simple: what do they want me to be? You just follow.

But when you chase character, the question becomes: who am I really? What do I stand for when it's inconvenient? What is my value when no one is paying me for it? What kind of person do I want to be in 10 years, not what kind of image do I want to have?

And those questions don't have instant answers. Sometimes you feel lost. Sometimes you realize the character you thought you had, you don't actually have it yet. Sometimes you realize you were patient because people were watching, not because you were patient. That hurts to admit.

But I think that's the point. Character is not about being perfect. It's about being honest about your unfinished parts and still choosing to work on them. Every day. Even when no one claps for you.

So at 29, I think I finally understand why that quote attracted me so much. I don't want to spend my 30s building something that can be destroyed by one misunderstanding or one rumor. I want to build something that stays, even when no one is looking. 😊